A report out of New Hartford details the tragedy of a deadly fire at a residence near Utica. The blaze killed a 7-year-old boy and his 3-year-old brother. The boys’ 21-year-old aunt was also killed in the fire. Five other people were in the home. Each one was taken to the hospital for injuries caused by the fire. Investigators ruled the fire an accident and believe it was ignited by a faulty electrical appliance.
The tragic blaze has local New England residents on notice of the need to address dangerous property conditions. From rentals units to public spaces, those making a profit by inviting others onto their property have a duty to ensure those individual’s safety.
Whether someone is injured in a fire caused by a landlord’s failure to update appliances or simply slips on icy walkways which were not properly maintained, the victim may have a cause of action against the property owner. These lawsuits can be vital in securing monetary compensation for the victims. Oftentimes, an injury in an accident caused by a dangerous property condition can lead to outlandish medical expenses, lost wages and other consequential damages. The total costs can be debilitating. Therefore, it is important for victims to have recourse.
Getting the right information can help individuals understand claims against property owners. From inadequate security to poorly maintained spaces, an injury caused by an owner’s negligence may warrant a financial award. Those injured in such a way should be sure to get the most accurate information in order to make an educated decision about their options.
Source: WENY News, “Fatal Utica Area Fire Kills Three,” Feb. 17, 2014